Travel accident insurance, or flight travel insurance, is extra term life and disability protection to cover a sudden and unexpected loss that occurs as a result of a travel accident or flight accident on a covered trip.
What makes Travel Accident insurance unique?
Travel accident insurance plans – also called flight travel insurance plans – focus on term life and AD&D benefits for the insured and their families.
Focus is on AD&D and term life benefits
Travel accident insurance focuses on AD&D (accidental death & dismemberment) and term life insurance benefits that apply while the insured is traveling on an insured trip or during their annual coverage period. Some travel accident plans have flexible benefit options and let you choose the amount.
- Flight accident AD&D
- 24-hour AD&D
- Emergency travel assistance services
See our explanation of the different types of AD&D.
Many flight insurance plans have evacuation benefits
Many flight travel insurance plans also offer:
- Emergency medical evacuation coverage
- Coverage for medical expenses due to accidents or illnesses
- Repatriation coverage
A few offer some extra benefits
Some travel accident plans include a few package-like benefits and extra options including:
- Baggage loss and delay
- Pre-existing medical conditions
- Security evacuations
- Coverage for war and terrorist acts
Why would you need Flight Travel Insurance?
- You want to be sure your spouse and children have enough if you are seriously injured on one of your frequent business trips.
- You become very ill on an overseas trip and need to be evacuated home to obtain proper medical care.
- You are traveling to risky areas and want to be sure to leave your family safe if you die.
What coverage is included in Flight Travel Insurance?
The following coverage is typically found in a flight accident insurance plan.
- AD&D benefits if you are seriously injured on a covered trip and cannot work.
- Term life benefits to your beneficiary(ies) if you die in a travel-related accident on a covered trip.
- Flight accident benefits to your beneficiary(ies) if you die in an airflight accident.
- Emergency medical evacuation benefits if you are injured and need to obtain medical care back home.
- Repatriation benefits to return your body home if you are killed or die on a covered trip.
- Some plans include coverage for medical and dental emergencies as well.
Who should buy Flight Insurance?
Travelers like these should purchase flight accident insurance:
- Travelers concerned with having enough life insurance. Travelers who are perhaps between jobs or facing travel to risky parts of the globe may want a little extra AD&D and/or term life benefits.
- Frequent travelers concerned about flight accidents. Travelers who put in a lot of miles on the road may want to be sure their family is protected in the event of an accident.
- Overseas travelers who want to be sure their body is recovered. Travelers who die on their trip and want their body recovered and repatriated at no additional cost to their families will find this type of coverage helpful.
How much does Flight Travel Insurance cost?
The following factors affect the price of a travel accident plan:
- The age of the travelers
- The length of the trip
- Optional coverages
- The AD&D limit
A single-trip travel accident plan will cost between $22 and $45 depending on the length of the trip and the traveler’s age. An annual plan will typically cost in the neighborhood of $220.
Where should you buy your Flight Travel Insurance?
You have two options for buying travel insurance – the best option is to compare plans from all companies, get quotes, and purchase your travel insurance plan online:
- Compare plans from all companies: Compare travel insurance plans from all companies, get quotes, and buy online.
- Quote and buy direct: Review the travel insurance companies and plans and purchase directly from the company.
All travel insurance companies include a free look period with a refund that lets you review the plan documentation. If you decide you need something a little different, you can make changes to your policy or cancel it for a refund (minus a small fee).
Which companies offer Flight Travel Insurance plans?
|Global Underwriters||High Limit AD&D|
|Travel Guard||Flight Accident|
|Travel Insurance Services||High Limit Accident Insurance
Employee Travel Protection
|Travelex||Flight Insure Plus|
- Ideal for frequent international travelers – especially those sent to risky regions
- Provides the assurance of additional AD&D and term life benefits for your beneficiaries
- Some plans let you choose the payout amount
- Use our travel insurance comparison tool to find plans and compare prices